View Profile Quarl

64 Movie Reviews

Still a better love story than twilight.

This cartoon was such a good surprise. I'm glad you got a front page spot for this. I laughed. I cried. Thank you for pulling this project together, all of you people.

It should go without saying, making clothes out of someone's friends is wrong.

14 Game Reviews

LOOPLOOPLOOPLOOPLOOPLOOPLOOPLOOPLOOPLOOPLOOPLOOPLOOPLOOP...

Oh hi Atlas Falling Down. Fancy seeing you here. Thanks for using my music, no one ever does. I was beginning to think my music was too weird for everyone. Great game chocks ^o^

epic lulz.

Pretty good game. I can't stop playing it. I keep getting stuck at that sword fight though. i'm not fast enough for that shit. make it easier.

holy shit :)

At first I wasn't sure if there was a point to this game and I'm still not sure if there really was but I LOVED the style man. The music which you forgot to credit was really nice too. I didn't recognize the piece but it sounded like Debussy? Go edit your flash to include the composer in there man :p

4mlr responds:

I use in game only classic music:
Fly = Maurice Ravel - Menuet sur le nom de Haydn
Fall = Frederic Chopin - Prelude In E Minor, Op. 28
End = Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Rondo in D Major, K. 485

696 Audio Reviews

Pretty damn good chip for a 6 hour throw together. Only complaint is how those arp triplets at the intro kind of sound weird when they loop. Not sure what I'd do differently because I don't make chiptune but the point might just be because my brain is expecting a new chord progression or a different drum rhythm and instead I just get a loop. Meh.

This sentence was only added so that my review looks longer than your author's comments.

DOPE

I came back to this song a few times while judging. It had some decent elements that made this track mid-tier for me. The thing that really hurt was the mixing quality and lo-fi sounds. It gave off an old school RPG element which actually paired nicely with Toradh's art. The fire crackling was a nice touch too. Always smart to toss in some musical element that calls out to whatever inspires it.

In regards to the melodies and structures everything sounded great. I loved the chord progressions and pacing. It's actually a really good composition. It just suffers from those digital sounds. The percussion was simply done but exciting. I can hear that tiny snare drum working hard back there. Worlds smallest drum kit :)

If you want to wow the judges for these kinds of comps avoid those lo-fi sound banks. Not everyone will buy EastWest virtual instruments but there are plenty of cheap alternatives that won't sound like Finale Notepad. I've been composing with Reason for over a decade now. I paid for my program a long time ago. Reason will always allow you to redownload your purchases years later when you log in to their website and they let you upgrade for free if you pay attention to the version updates. I'm not sure what program you are using but it might be worth asking others what they use to get their sounds with. See if you can't find something cheap or free that others recommend and comes with better virtual instruments right out of the gate. Make sure it comes with mixing & mastering tools.

I just want to drive the point home that your biggest focus should be to beef up your instruments. You can probably export the midi notes from this track and slam them into some better instruments later. You'll thank yourself so much if you can manage some kind of upgrade. Since your profile says 17 years old, I have no idea if you have a job or means to pay for software but it can be well worth it. Do your homework and pick up some equipment that works for you.

There are means to pirate software BUT NO ONE ON NEWGROUNDS IS ALLOWED TO ADVOCATE THAT, HOW DARE YOU EVEN ASK. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT. I DIDNT PIRATE REASON 4 AND FRUITY LOOPS IN COLLEGE AND SO WHAT IF I DID. I LATER BOUGHT REASON VERSIONS 6 AND 10 LIKE A GOOD CONSUMER WHORE, STOP JUDGING ME. I'M SUPPOSED TO BE JUDGING YOU. THIS IS ME JUDGING YOU >:C

Have a nice day Sleven. I hope this review inspires you to build wonderful musics :D

SI-7 responds:

Thanks for the feedback.
The DAW I'm using is LMMS, and most of my instruments were synthesized using the plugins built into it. I am currently looking around for better instruments that don't crash LMMS, but it's starting to look like I'll have to swap to a different DAW because LMMS conflicts with a lot of different plugins and instruments.
I do think that a decent part of the mixing/mastering being bad was my fault though. I'm still learning how to use some of the tools for it. I still don't quite understand how much of compression works, though I've learned the basic idea of it.
The only paid-for thing in the entire song is Valhala Room reverb, which was a prize from Zelazon's contest a few months back. I don't currently have a job or a means of paying for software. I have done some research, but it's still very hit or miss, since sometimes I can't find any info on whether instruments are compatible with LMMS.

34 Art Reviews

This is what I've come to expect from newgrounds.

Is it too much to hope for a sequel? Zero Dawn was a hell of a game. Nice drawing gris.

At first I was only going to give you 2 and a half stars. I was all like "the fuck is this shit? A pair of legs and a man thong?" Then I realized I needed to scroll up and look at the entire drawing instead of just half of it.

Atonal rhythmic noise.