QuarlQuarl

Main News Movies Games Audio Art Favorites Reviews Stats 245 Fans

424 audio Reviews with Responses

Metroid Briefing REMIX Metroid Briefing REMIX

bahaha, that intro took me back. I haven't played video games in years :')

Seprix responds:

You haven't played video games in YEARS!?

°°Suffer°° °°Suffer°°

Fits perfectly with the lyrics for Take on Me. That's pretty 80's, imo. I would know. I was born in the 80's. That makes me a professional 80's snob. On 80's day in highschool I'd just show up as myself because I always looked like the 80's. People used to call me "the thriller," after the Michael Jackson song Thriller released in 1982. did you know that the original game boy was released in 1989? That's the same year I was born.

I guess technically that makes me a 90's kid but I was an 80's baby. Look man, I practically AM the 80's and if you disagree with me I'll have to leave you a scathing review about your song. On that note, cool song. I'd have used some more hi hats to make the drum rhythm a little more dynamic but then it might not have had the same 80's vibe and we're all about those 80's. You could have also sampled some original 808 sounds and been like "look at me, I used an 808." But you didn't and I guess that's cool and all.

80's

Whirlguy responds:

Damn skippy! In terms of dynamics I could have used some nice LinnDrum toms in there I suppose. Personally I wasn't even born in the 80's, which is bogus. To be fair though, not a lot of 90's music was out in February 1990. I grew up with 80's music, so technically I am an 80's kid too. Totally! Thanks for the the bodacious review, I give it 80/80 rubik's cubes.

80's

forever forever

I don't know why but the spacing of your name in that url made me think "WILD-e-KEIZER" Your so will son. The willest. Skwillex.

Sequenced responds:

fags 4 trump

worst build up ever worst build up ever

I thought it was rather avant-garde. With one more pad in the background, you'd have a club banger right here. 100%

Father-of-Death responds:

Thanks buddy!!!!

Iηнυмαη Eяrør Iηнυмαη Eяrør

I some how missed this track, sorry Nachos. Cool to see it in the top three line up! How did you get 180 downloads? I haven't seen that many downloads since back in the olden days. I'm lucky to get 10 downloads on anything anymore. I'm only slightly envious.

Airy, breezy, drum and bass. That reese was nice and juicy. Gotta agree with strykur, those drums that kicked in with the reese were nice and fat. I wish you looped it a little longer. Still, with all the change ups you managed to produce a really creative track. The concept behind it all tuned me in as well. Love!

larrynachos responds:

I have a track with over 1000 downloads I think (or maybe 10,000?). Geometry dash makes it really easy, but I think 180 people just really liked the track, because I can't find a GD level with my song id.

I try to keep my songs shorter, because people always shit on my tracks for being too repetitive. Glad you liked it though! I enjoyed your robot day track as well :D

Virus [RobotDay2016] Virus [RobotDay2016]

Is that the same reese synth you used in the "look how stupid easy it is to make dubstep" facebook video? I'd say I actually liked this track but then I'd be afraid that you think my taste in music is simple minded and bland. Art sucks man, be grateful that it comes easy to you.

Cool track, regardless of what you think about it.

Sequenced responds:

i don't care what people like its jut a silly genre

hehe

its an add on to that synth

Simulated_Reality_//:corrupt> Simulated_Reality_//:corrupt>

I just ran through your music catalog real quick, sorry I've never noticed you until now! I feel like this happens so often. People slip through the cracks... FOR YEARS. Unacceptable.

This reminds me of that old school Metroid sound. Ambient-minimal-industrial-glitch. Things kind of go more into song mode towards the end there but I was really digging the atmosphere all around.

Cheers!

Psychknight responds:

That's cool :P
I agree. The amount of content out there these days is just incredible. So many talented peeps...

Thanks for your review! :)

-:: Fallen Machines ::- -:: Fallen Machines ::-

I love hearing an artist have fun. The track came out so well. I had to listen several times over. Those chanting vox added a lot of atmosphere. You took a really orchestrated approach which I wouldn't have anticipated to sound so awesome with the robot theme. What really sells it to me is that evolving glitchy pad under everything.

2:43, those scratching violins... I love you so much. If I was in love with this track in the first place that distressed violin pushed me over the edge. I want moar...

RebelLouiz responds:

Thank you for your review Quarl. :)

I supposed to make the violin sound like electric violin. but halfway through (as spent an hour for it) i said fuck it and instead applied LFO and phaser to the part. the result turned out better than i planned.

thank you again dude. Happy Robot Day! :D

Gear City Gear City

That was awesome, super crisp mids and highs. Super heavy tension, I love it. Arrangement is pro. I'm assuming that's a drum machine? If so, you got a little Robot right there in your song. HI ROBOT DRUM MACHINE SORRY IF YOUR A REAL PERSON :D

My only gripe is that it sounded like there were no sub sonic bass frequencies. The bass was a tiny bit underwhelming which is unfair because everything else is soooo goood, I could fuck to this song. Seriously, awesome awesome awesome.

TSRBand responds:

Thanks so much! Good ear, that's EZDrummer 2's metal kit you're listening to with a bit of tweaking on the kick and snare.

Sorry to hear the bass isn't quite up to scratch! Seems like a bit of a letdown, thanks for pointing it out tho, I'll definitely have to go back in and have a look at that sometime :)

Robot Junkyard Robot Junkyard

I really liked a lot of the experimentation I heard. There were some super clean synths in there and the arrangement was flawless. The one thing I'd have done differently is the tone of the drum kit. I loved the effects on everything but that kit could have punched me harder with some more EQing, compression, or layers.The kit was kind of thin. It sounded like it was under a filter the whole time, don't be a tease. Sorry to meander about the drums...

I love Kamikaye's work, cool shout out! Always makes me happy to see people tagging each other. I'll believe you when you said this took a long time to make. Composing songs out of seemingly random noises takes so much patience. A chord progression can keep a song together but IDM, glitch, brain dance... those genres take patience. It requires balance between experimentation and composition. Neurotic programming. Good luck shadow dreamer :]

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Thanks for the review and for the support :)

I'm glad that you liked my silly experimenting. This is very different from the usual kind of music I make, which is very heavy on chords, melodies, and arrangement. Especially since I mostly compose solo piano stuff :V
But I always found it fun to see what all I can cook together whenever I am given a reason to :D

I totally agree with you about the drums. I did compress them some, but I probably went way too soft with it. Drums and mixing are my greatest weaknesses when it comes to composing in general!

Yeah, I love Kamikaye's stuff too! Along with a ton of other artists here on NG. I atually follow quite a lot of artists in secret >:D
You are correct here too. Most of the time went into finding/altering samples that'd fit okay together, and figuring out how I wanted to arrange them.
That said, non-experimental tracks tend to take even longer for me to make, as I put a lot more effort into arranging and balancing the mix when I try to make something, especially if it's orchestral. I am relatively slow at producing tracks in general though, so it's no surprise xD

Sorry for the side note!
Thanks for the review, and good luck to you too!