447 audio Reviews with Responses

Jim's Theme - Piano Jim's Theme - Piano

Stop writing goodly. Soon it's going to look weird when half of my favorite tracks are by you and I'll have to be honest with myself about whether or not I'm stalking you :\

Half star minus because I feel like you could be composing arrangements with additional instruments just as fucking dope as this. You have so much talent as a piano composer. Why not ask someone like Mihai Sorohan if he'd be interested in doing some additional instrumentation for something like this? Why not ask him if he'd perform for this piece in particular? You can tell him I suggested it. He's very nice and at the very least would be too busy to say yes but I'd be willing to bet he'd still be down to try. I have a lot of respect for him :)

Don't let my suggestions slow you down at all. Being in a comfortable creative mode where the music just flows is something I envy. Just keep pumping out stuff and you'll be dead before you know it because life is really short but at the very least you'll have made a ton of radical stuff :'0

Sorry this review got spooky right there at the end.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Haha, I actually recorded this more than a month ago, so my pace isn't that fast. I intend to compose something new real soon though! Thanks a ton for the compliments ;)

I actually have a few collaborations brewing right now, but they're on slow-cooking mode :'D
Most of them won't use many real instruments, but some of them will include song! A few of them are covers, and a couple are originals. It'll still take a while to get them anywhere ready for uploading, I think :p
As for a collab where I play the piano, and someone else actually plays another instrument for the track, I think that's something I have yet to do (IRL band playing and such obv doesn't count, as I've done that a lot)! It's a cool suggestion. That said, I think I'm ready to leave this song be, and move to newer projects for now :)

I do know of sorohanro! I haven't personally exchanged too many words with him, but if I end up making a similarly themed piece in the future, I might steal your idea and contact him! :D

I still need to cover "WWW" for you. I find myself playing that riff a few times a week xD
If I end up making an actual piano cover, is that something I could upload to youtube/NG?

I can see where you're coming from with that philosophy, heh. I have a blog where I occasionally write some interesting thoughts as well, so I don't find it to be that creepy ;)

Thanks!

Get Into It Get Into It

This was some super clean liquid dnb. Drums sounded a little crunchy, maybe strap a filter or EQ on them and lightly shave off some of those higher frequencies a little? IMO.

Melodies and arps were beautiful. Reese synth was nice. A little too conservative for a nuero reese but perfect for liquid. Those female vox were a great touch too. Reminded me of Ben Sage's old dnb tunes. Check out this track by Ben Sage & Subsonic and tell me you don't like this :)

MavMusic responds:

Thanks for the tips! I do agree that the drums sounded a little too loud and crunchy, which is my fault. and i listened to the track and it sounds great. It could help me with a new song idea but i wont copy off of it xD Anyways, thanks for the tips and feedback, I appreciate it.

The Aberrant Snowflake The Aberrant Snowflake

Beautiful, emotional, melodies. As a huge sap I'll admit this honestly jerked a couple tears. Don't let that go to your head. I'm super easy to jerk these days. You have good hands. Uh, I mean for playing the piano. Your hands are good at playing piano.

Punnuendo intended.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Little known fact: This composition was actually partially inspired by "Watching Winter Waterfalls". After learning to play your riff, I realized I haven't made many compositions where there isn't as much of a direct melody, as a repeated pattern of notes with the right hand. Even rhythmically, you may notice the similarities!

I'm glad you enjoyed this :)
Also, I do indeed like my hands. They're very useful when it comes to playing nice melodies indeed ^ ^

Atom (Demon-Wolf Remix) Atom (Demon-Wolf Remix)

If there's one negative thing to point out about this it's that atomic bomb sample. I've had friends make fun of atomic bomb samples right before I showed them one of my own tracks with an atomic bomb sample. I think the criticism he was getting at back then was that the idea is super cliche at this point. I kid you not, I felt really dumb showing him my newest song right after he said that. I've always noted atomic samples after that day. You'll hear them in heavy metal, drum and bass, hard styles... fuck man I wouldn't be surprised if Madonna or Lady Gaga decided to be edgy with an atomic sample.

That's basically all I gotta say crit wise. The whole track is super slick. Loved those arp melodies. Maybe those synths were a tad grainy but who am I to judge? I'm a fucking failure. For totes serious, don't listen to me. I'm always wrong.

Demon-Wolf responds:

That escalated quickly

Spooked-Dubstep |Evilex 2016| Enjoy Spooked-Dubstep |Evilex 2016| Enjoy

Hey there. Cool melodies and ideas. Would have liked this with less reverb. I try not to be too critical in reviews but right off the bat I feel like there's way too much delay and reverb that never goes away. I feel like those synths could have sounded so much crisper but those effects slur the envelope. Why so much delay Evilex?

EvilexMusic responds:

I wanted it to have a very wispy vibe and I see what you are saying, I am working on a VIP version at the time... I will have to keep this in mind :)

Aphex sibling Aphex sibling

Oh my god. I love this. Good job jamz. Glad I came back around to poke through some more of your musics. This made me super happy. Will 2017 see some more IDM? Please??? I loved the neurotic drum programming.

jambrother2 responds:

I honestly don't know, I don't seem to have much choice on when I'm capable of making certain music. Sometimes it just pours out of me so naturally, but then I can go months/years without being able to. I'm really at the mercy of whatever it is that inspires me. I go through phases where I can only really make one type of music.
I released an IDM album on my bandcamp not too long ago though.
Thanks for your support Quarl :)

Waterfalls Waterfalls

I've been travelling this week so I didn't get to tune into this until now. Holy shit I love that metal climax! You did a really awesome job with this J Dizzle. Love hearing this. Thanks for tossing me the shout out! I'll probably be showing people this for years to come.

JDawg00100 responds:

Thanks I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D

EnV - Osiris (WIP) EnV - Osiris (WIP)

"Hey everyone, I wrote a drum and bass at 165 BPM to annoy the shit out of you all!"

Track was almost rad, just do me a huge favor and bump the bpm up just a tad. Like... 175 at least. 183 bpm if you want to make Quarl happy. 200 bpm for lols. If you were to up the bpm casually you'd be sitting on top of a Slam era Pendulum track.

Drums: I'd layer in a bass drum with some mid range. More punch. That kick is all bass right now. Also maybe a thin layer on top of the snare to crisp it up a little? Not a clap but something in that general frequency range. I might cut the envelope for the hi hats a little so there's not so much white noise coming from them. Replace that white noise with a shaker rhythm but keep that hi-hat rhythm in there. Maybe replace that 8/8 hi hat rhythm with some 16th notes to help add tension. Those bongos towards the end are sick.

I don't want to make you second guess anything by writing all this about the drums but the rhythm section is missing some kind of tension and all of this plays into that. I remember talking to you a ways back about doing drum and bass. Figured you wouldn't mind this kind of feedback.

I'm really loving the melodic vibes. That high note at 1:00 had some stank to it. Stank isn't a bad thing in DNB. I've seen people pull of killer tracks that were 95% stank and like 5% actual music. I don't know how they pulled it off. Put some more stank in this.

Good luck Envy. Hope life is treating you well :)

Envy responds:

Awesome advice! I'm not great at DnB so thanks for helping me out. TBH this started out as a 130bpm house track so it's tough to speed it up any more without losing my mind haha considering what I'm used to the melody sounding like. That also explains the kick. It was a big booming kick I was using for the house version I just shortened, hence why it's so bassy - I'll have to fix that. I definitely plan to add some more stank as well.

I actually purchased a "silk road" drum VST for most of the percs and I've been loving it so far. It was only like $20 too. Totally worth it.

Thanks for the in depth review! Hope all is well with you!

Ambient Improv Ambient Improv

A good synth doesn't need a song to support it. You can just sit on a keyboard pressing one note over and over again without feeling dirty if you just like the tone. That said, the Roland looks like fun. I had to force myself to say that because I know it's a good synth. But for some Reason, years of looking at propellerhead synth stacks has this "I don't see anything special" side effect. Like calm down Quarl. It's a Roland, it's not like you know how to make a better analog bitch. Concede defeat.

Mem bank, arps, LFOs, effect knobs, sequencer... but I can't tell, is that a mod wheel or pitch shift? I would need at least four mod wheels and twenty pad controllers to justify making a purchase. I think I have to take a point off the score because I'm basically reviewing your synth and I found one little nuance to be upset about. Otherwise I'd have given you a 5/5.

Mich responds:

Hah. To be perfectly frank, the JP-8000 isn't a super amazing synth. For one thing, it's not even analog, it's "virtual analog" which is a fancy term to say "we made a digital synth with an interface to make it seem like an analog like you know and love". I've drooled over this one for years because of its trance legacy though, so when the right ebay deal + budget showed up I had to go for it. It's still pretty versatile, but it's not analog. I got my hands on a Korg Trinity for free, and while it's also a digital synth, it doesn't try to pretend to be analog; it's in all respects more powerful than the JP-8K, it's just a tad less straightforward to use (menu-diving, 90s touch screen, etc).

Anyway, I don't think Roland is particularly an innovator in the synth world at this point.

Waddayknow I ended up rambling about synths as well. Thanks for the review and such. <3

I couldn't do anything quietly I couldn't do anything quietly

Such a cool piece. It's really easy to drone out to this. I just checked your page, noticed you've uploaded a lot of music to newgrounds. I've never seen your name before. I know this is going to sound super weird but I looked at your posting history. Not a lot going on there which might have led to my ignorance of you. NG users can be very communal when the proper rituals are followed. I also noticed this:

Response to: What you want to contribute to NG
Posted October 24th, 2013 in General
i make mediocre music

First of all, no you don't. Your music kicks ass. You didn't know what you were talking about in 2013. Being an artist is hard. It can feel like no one is listening sometimes but don't worry. I'm here now. This track reminds me of the music played while growing up. Jam sessions with old friends and family. This song is a reminder to me that so much music is just waiting to be heard. YOU ARE NOT MEDIOCRE, every artist blames themselves when people don't notice their hard work. Just keep doing it. I'm noticing you right now. This is me noticing you. I love your music.

jambrother2 responds:

This is incredibly kind, thank you so much.