QuarlQuarl

Main News Movies Games Audio Art Favorites Reviews Stats 250 Fans

430 audio Reviews with Responses

-:: Armor Robbery ::- -:: Armor Robbery ::-

I usually hate on "cinematic" for being too orchestral/classical but thanks for bringing an avant garde- music concrete vibe. Is cinematic even a genre or was it coded into our options to make certain people happy? Were classical, ambient, and industrial not good enough options for people?

Ahem, great track though. Really surprising and refreshing. I play way too many zombie games that loop this kind of music for hundreds of hours to find this in any way unsatisfying. I could see this in a game like Rebuild or Infectonator. Actually... this is better than the music in those games. I've probably let this loop five times about now.

Dem0lecule responds:

Thank you for your awesome review, Quarl. :D

Wonderfuland Wonderfuland

KingB, cool stuff! Glitch, chopped samples, sassy funk bass line. Love it son. Glad to hear your still making some really slick tunes. Perfect track :)

Kingbastard responds:

Cheers man, appreciate the comments:)

Lovely Kitten - Falling Lovely Kitten - Falling

Damn, this is some Kill Paris level dubstep. Great job. I'll compliment you some more after I gripe that intro.

As someone that uses a piano in 100% of my own songs, I'd be a total hypocrite to say it was tired, unoriginal, and cliche. I hate piano so much but never out grew using it. I feel like you're better than that. The melodies were all well done but for me dubstep has never been about a focus on the melodic qualities of a song. Rather, it's been the tonal qualities and synthesis engineering. You flexed a lot of synth muscle. Awesome awesome awesome. The track is invigoratingly fresh, satisfying, novel. I just wish the motif didn't "crutch" along on a that cliche piano and orchestra vibe. It's an opinion coming from someone that hypocritically falls for that exact same issue on every track.

You should keep pumping out some heavy bass tracks like this. It seems to suit you really well. You're a natural. You deserve a trophy.

ValeriaKitten responds:

We need to destroy that "Dubstep & Piano cliche" lol.

And thanks for this awesome review, and to be honest, i'm not too creative to make piano melodies, i just make my best try and something kinda "incredible" appears.
One day, i'll make hard drop dubstep song (Just like Skrillex [In 2011] or something like Zomboy).
I promise i'll not defraud you, you'll be proud of me haha.

Actually i have a trophy, the "Frontpaged" trophy hahaha. Anyways thanks for reviewing my song and see you on the next time!

-Valeria

Nosferatu Tales Nosferatu Tales

I didn't find it super halloweeny or spooks but it was still a nice listen. Really laid back and easy to relax to. Catchy cords. Good resolves. I could see this played on a loop at a party. The track could easily erk out 40 minutes unnoticed. Unless that drunk girl shows up and demands we play the spice girls. Ughhhh, I hate it when she plays the spice girls.

S3C responds:

thanks Quarl! how are things holding up on your end

Broken World Broken World

Can't believe I didn't drop you a review. The whole track is great but I'm wondering what the creative motive was behind losing that "horrible world" sample to the drums at 00:20. I could hear a liquid track letting that sample play out all the way and delaying the song for a few more measures before kicking the drums back in but you decided to get right into the track instead. In doing so that sample gets momentarily over powered. I'm not sure if the track would really be at all better or worse if that sample were played with but that's really the only problem I have. The drums are sexily mixed, all the pads are perfect, bass isn't obnoxious. This track is gold :)

YakovlevArt responds:

I like your review!

So my thinking was it'd be cool to let the drums hit right as he says the title. It wasn't something to think about heavily, but i feel like letting the sample play out and then hitting the drums is just so overused and often times feels like it's there to fill the silence. I wanted it to feel like it was part of the track more. Honestly it wasn't a major decision and mostly going off the rhythm of the vocal mixed with the drums.

An Improv on Life An Improv on Life

I love the lo-fi crackling going on in this recording. No bullshit, just authentic melodic exploration. I'll watch the video next. The technology definitely gets in the way a little but gives me a nostalgic college vibe. Spending hours in practice rooms with pianos, recording to garage band on my lap top. Thanks for giving us this shadow :)

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Thank you for listening and for reviewing, Quarl!
Yeah :) While the sound certainly isn't the best, the authenticity is worth something, in the very least.
I'm glad that this did something for you ^ ^
It's really fun to spend some time playing on real pianos at the university, since I only have an electrix one at home :D

Metroid Briefing REMIX Metroid Briefing REMIX

bahaha, that intro took me back. I haven't played video games in years :')

Seprix responds:

You haven't played video games in YEARS!?

°°Suffer°° °°Suffer°°

Fits perfectly with the lyrics for Take on Me. That's pretty 80's, imo. I would know. I was born in the 80's. That makes me a professional 80's snob. On 80's day in highschool I'd just show up as myself because I always looked like the 80's. People used to call me "the thriller," after the Michael Jackson song Thriller released in 1982. did you know that the original game boy was released in 1989? That's the same year I was born.

I guess technically that makes me a 90's kid but I was an 80's baby. Look man, I practically AM the 80's and if you disagree with me I'll have to leave you a scathing review about your song. On that note, cool song. I'd have used some more hi hats to make the drum rhythm a little more dynamic but then it might not have had the same 80's vibe and we're all about those 80's. You could have also sampled some original 808 sounds and been like "look at me, I used an 808." But you didn't and I guess that's cool and all.

80's

Whirlguy responds:

Damn skippy! In terms of dynamics I could have used some nice LinnDrum toms in there I suppose. Personally I wasn't even born in the 80's, which is bogus. To be fair though, not a lot of 90's music was out in February 1990. I grew up with 80's music, so technically I am an 80's kid too. Totally! Thanks for the the bodacious review, I give it 80/80 rubik's cubes.

80's

forever forever

I don't know why but the spacing of your name in that url made me think "WILD-e-KEIZER" Your so will son. The willest. Skwillex.

Sequenced responds:

fags 4 trump

worst build up ever worst build up ever

I thought it was rather avant-garde. With one more pad in the background, you'd have a club banger right here. 100%

Father-of-Death responds: