Be a Supporter!

QuarlQuarl

Main News Movies Audio Art Favorites Reviews Stats 196 Fans

387 audio Reviews with Responses

Ambient II Ambient II

Great ambient! I loved that really low piano back there and the drone reminded me of something from Mass Effect. Maybe I'd have had a few more piano hits through out the track to add some more flavor to the drone but over all the track carries a lot of weight for something so simple. Cheers :)

NekoMika responds:

Thanks for the helpful remarks Quarl!~ Quite helpful, <3

dat kick tho dat kick tho

I'd fuck to this.

Sequenced responds:

weiners. look at my longer 1min wip for this

No Smoking No Smoking

lol, slow core. You kids are too hip for me. Great timing for atmospheric rock, I'm just getting back into Explosions In The Sky. This doesn't quite have the same explosive climax that their work features but it was still really good. Not everything needs explosions and climaxes btw.

I'm one of those people that detests fade outs though. And it was just when the guitar was like "I'm here guys! Hold on, let me plug in my amp... wait... where is everyone going??"

SineRider responds:

But Slowcore is from the early 90s maaaan

Thanks for the review Quarl, I may go back and make a better ending. I couldn't figure out a good way to end it so I just did a fade

Arcadium Arcadium

Loved that laid back atmosphere. Really conservative wubs. Forgot you existed LJ. Glad to see your still playing with some tunes. Just looked at the catalog, you've slowed down a lot these last few years but hey; at least this. You doing any other alts, or gigs I should know about?

LJCoffee responds:

no alts - only other gigs are for the man... I'm currently thinking about performing a live-set somewhere - most likely an hour or two of pretty straight-forward house in some little known club somewhere. I'm almost ready though. Thanks for the remarks!

liquid messabout liquid messabout

Awesome old school vibe. This takes me back to some of the sounds that came off of the Violence label. Gridlok and Hive <3

AeroMusic responds:

yess its nice to see someone know their dnb round here :P I've got such a love for that era
happy you enjoyed it mate

Cortez's Revenge Cortez's Revenge

Curious, how long have you been producing? You seem to have a lot of tracks up from this year but if they all sound like this I'd like to welcome you to a few new ideas.

First of all, the most developed aspect of this track is the melody which I have no doubt is a midi file. No worries, gotta start somewhere. I also just checked out the original track because I've never played Paper Mario. To be perfectly honest I really wasn't that impressed by the original either. I think this track could have benefited from a few more creative decisions.

Drums were obviously straight out of the sample bank from whatever program your running. I'd go online and start looking for drum samples that sound full and awesome. now a days I have a huge sample folder accumulated from over the years. You can try a search engine for drums by artists you like. Say you like Dead Mouse, try googling "dead mouse drum samples." I'm not really much of a fan of his work but I'm already finding drum samples I like. Heck, you can also rip an mp3 from youtube, then chop drums out of songs using audacity.

You might say to yourself "but sampling is illegal." The first rule about fight club is that you don't talk about fight club. Contemporary music wouldn't exist as it does today without the advent of the sampler in the late 80's. Heck, it took me a year or two before I realized Propellerhead's Reason has the amen break hiding in the sample bank under a different name. Literally, everyone, samples.

I could give you a hundred drum techniques but you have to get over the initial stages your currently in. Keep plugging away, keep inventing music... but evolve. Always strive to make your work better and better than the previous. Not a whole lot of people are going to find a quick application of a midi file particularly interesting to listen to. You're off to a nice start though :)

Yeelp responds:

I've only been producing for idk maybe a year at least but I've never really been that good at remixing songs but I wanted to give it another try. I'm in the process of learning the ropes of FL Studio but I post whatever I make so I can see where I fall. I find that nowadays, I focus more on the actual structure of the song rather than the actual sounds that I use - which I now realize is a fundamental aspect. Now don't get me wrong, I'm okay with having to sample. I've definitely thought about doing that for SFX'es but whenever I went online, I was always disappointed that I couldn't find the exact sound I was hoping for. As I said, I'm in the process of learning the ropes of FL Studio and I'd rather not sit through a 10:00 Youtube video that I may or may not fully understand. So, I don't know exactly how to modify an SFX I sample to truly get the sound I want. I use some plugins so it's not that I don't know how to use them, I just don't know how to use all of them. Once I can learn the plugins and sampling techniques (I will try what you suggested about Googling for drum samples.) then I feel like I'll be golden. It's just GETTING to that point where I know the plugins well and have good sampling techniques that proves to be difficult.

I guess my main problem is that I'm somewhat narrow-minded. Music is open-ended there's no right or wrong way to make a song - it all depends on the artist's perspective. However, I follow a very cut and dry structure that usually leads to some songs getting repetitive. I need to break away from that mentality but I find it very difficult to do that. It'll take a while but I think I'm making headway in that department. Evolving is my goal but this cut and dry structure that plagues me is preventing me from evolving.

But enough of me babbling about that. To be honest, when I started reading your reply I felt a little defensive for some stupid reason. I didn't want all of my works to be questioned at once like you did at the beginning of your reply but it's good that you did. I need to not be so defensive about this stuff. Of course it is natural for me to be as it's something I worked hard on but I need to be open to ideas. So I thank you for that.

Enough of me babbling again, thanks a million for the suggestions. I'll probably just take a break from producing for a while and let it all sink in as I learn some new techniques. Then I'll come back and rework this maybe. Your suggestions have been very helpful and eye-opening.

Down Down

It's always fun to hear producers fuggin around. Those filtered bass sounds had some nuero funk to them. you familiar with nuerofunk at all? It's an off shoot of drum and bass and something tells me you might be a shoe-in for that genre :)

Cool sounds :)

wiseyoungfool responds:

Thanks man! I do know neurofunk and it has definitely influenced me when making this :] dnb is the shit! I have a few more songs in the works that are even more neurofunky than this one and I'll definitely be uploading them as soon as they're done

track - 53 track - 53

That intro had a lot of atmosphere. Good work there. Really unique breaks chopping into things. They were kind of jarring though. I could really see this going in a few different directions. Truth be told, with some really intense drum programming this could make a really slick IDM. As it stands right now, the drums could use of fuck ton of work.

I came for the atmosphere. I stayed for the atmosphere.

Akhenaten responds:

Ah yeas the amen mincing machine. If i were aiming for breakcore I would definitely have made the break beats break more.

Throw Me to the Wolves Throw Me to the Wolves

Catchy, well recorded, production 100%

There's really nothing wrong with this track. That vocalist has some Sublime tenor to it. The resemblance is uncanny. The track also has a hint of Radiohead in there. I have nothing constructive to say about this. Fucking amazing job stud :)

camamassa21 responds:

Thanks for the review! You are too kind :)

Pioneer Pioneer

I loved it dude. You could stand to master your tracks a little louder though. I had to squint my ears to hear a few notes :p

Really cool track to listen to. It's always fun to hear artists evolve and I hope you keep exploring! This is fun track to listen to :)

Fuzzy-L0g1c responds:

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you liked listening to it. :)
I basically rely on Logic Pro's ability to automatically normalize a track to the typical loudness, but I think I contrasted the volumes too much so that the beginning is too quiet while the loudest part is just semi-loud. I'll have to look into it because I've always ignored that part of mastering.
Thanks again!