Be a Supporter!

QuarlQuarl

Main News Movies Audio Art Favorites Reviews Stats 178 Fans

382 audio Reviews with Responses

liquid messabout liquid messabout

Awesome old school vibe. This takes me back to some of the sounds that came off of the Violence label. Gridlok and Hive <3

AeroMusic responds:

yess its nice to see someone know their dnb round here :P I've got such a love for that era
happy you enjoyed it mate

Cortez's Revenge Cortez's Revenge

Curious, how long have you been producing? You seem to have a lot of tracks up from this year but if they all sound like this I'd like to welcome you to a few new ideas.

First of all, the most developed aspect of this track is the melody which I have no doubt is a midi file. No worries, gotta start somewhere. I also just checked out the original track because I've never played Paper Mario. To be perfectly honest I really wasn't that impressed by the original either. I think this track could have benefited from a few more creative decisions.

Drums were obviously straight out of the sample bank from whatever program your running. I'd go online and start looking for drum samples that sound full and awesome. now a days I have a huge sample folder accumulated from over the years. You can try a search engine for drums by artists you like. Say you like Dead Mouse, try googling "dead mouse drum samples." I'm not really much of a fan of his work but I'm already finding drum samples I like. Heck, you can also rip an mp3 from youtube, then chop drums out of songs using audacity.

You might say to yourself "but sampling is illegal." The first rule about fight club is that you don't talk about fight club. Contemporary music wouldn't exist as it does today without the advent of the sampler in the late 80's. Heck, it took me a year or two before I realized Propellerhead's Reason has the amen break hiding in the sample bank under a different name. Literally, everyone, samples.

I could give you a hundred drum techniques but you have to get over the initial stages your currently in. Keep plugging away, keep inventing music... but evolve. Always strive to make your work better and better than the previous. Not a whole lot of people are going to find a quick application of a midi file particularly interesting to listen to. You're off to a nice start though :)

Yeelp responds:

I've only been producing for idk maybe a year at least but I've never really been that good at remixing songs but I wanted to give it another try. I'm in the process of learning the ropes of FL Studio but I post whatever I make so I can see where I fall. I find that nowadays, I focus more on the actual structure of the song rather than the actual sounds that I use - which I now realize is a fundamental aspect. Now don't get me wrong, I'm okay with having to sample. I've definitely thought about doing that for SFX'es but whenever I went online, I was always disappointed that I couldn't find the exact sound I was hoping for. As I said, I'm in the process of learning the ropes of FL Studio and I'd rather not sit through a 10:00 Youtube video that I may or may not fully understand. So, I don't know exactly how to modify an SFX I sample to truly get the sound I want. I use some plugins so it's not that I don't know how to use them, I just don't know how to use all of them. Once I can learn the plugins and sampling techniques (I will try what you suggested about Googling for drum samples.) then I feel like I'll be golden. It's just GETTING to that point where I know the plugins well and have good sampling techniques that proves to be difficult.

I guess my main problem is that I'm somewhat narrow-minded. Music is open-ended there's no right or wrong way to make a song - it all depends on the artist's perspective. However, I follow a very cut and dry structure that usually leads to some songs getting repetitive. I need to break away from that mentality but I find it very difficult to do that. It'll take a while but I think I'm making headway in that department. Evolving is my goal but this cut and dry structure that plagues me is preventing me from evolving.

But enough of me babbling about that. To be honest, when I started reading your reply I felt a little defensive for some stupid reason. I didn't want all of my works to be questioned at once like you did at the beginning of your reply but it's good that you did. I need to not be so defensive about this stuff. Of course it is natural for me to be as it's something I worked hard on but I need to be open to ideas. So I thank you for that.

Enough of me babbling again, thanks a million for the suggestions. I'll probably just take a break from producing for a while and let it all sink in as I learn some new techniques. Then I'll come back and rework this maybe. Your suggestions have been very helpful and eye-opening.

Down Down

It's always fun to hear producers fuggin around. Those filtered bass sounds had some nuero funk to them. you familiar with nuerofunk at all? It's an off shoot of drum and bass and something tells me you might be a shoe-in for that genre :)

Cool sounds :)

wiseyoungfool responds:

Thanks man! I do know neurofunk and it has definitely influenced me when making this :] dnb is the shit! I have a few more songs in the works that are even more neurofunky than this one and I'll definitely be uploading them as soon as they're done

Throw Me to the Wolves Throw Me to the Wolves

Catchy, well recorded, production 100%

There's really nothing wrong with this track. That vocalist has some Sublime tenor to it. The resemblance is uncanny. The track also has a hint of Radiohead in there. I have nothing constructive to say about this. Fucking amazing job stud :)

camamassa21 responds:

Thanks for the review! You are too kind :)

Pioneer Pioneer

I loved it dude. You could stand to master your tracks a little louder though. I had to squint my ears to hear a few notes :p

Really cool track to listen to. It's always fun to hear artists evolve and I hope you keep exploring! This is fun track to listen to :)

Fuzzy-L0g1c responds:

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you liked listening to it. :)
I basically rely on Logic Pro's ability to automatically normalize a track to the typical loudness, but I think I contrasted the volumes too much so that the beginning is too quiet while the loudest part is just semi-loud. I'll have to look into it because I've always ignored that part of mastering.
Thanks again!

Music to pwn your old lad Music to pwn your old lad

Wait, you've been uploading music here since 2005 and I'm just now noticing you? Da fak, where have I been?

don't know.
i didn't really make a dent around here. had a couple of front pages. i rolled with king bastard, pitbull jones, sinerider, wintang, ljcoffee, cebster and erlie.
good chaps.
will check some more of your stuff soon
px

happy quarl (dslm) happy quarl (dslm)

I wish I had this kind of work ethic these days. Really loving what your doing with the midi file <3

snoballandthmonyshot responds:

i ain't done anything new for months, 'long 14' was a salvaged old tune. thank you for forcing my toe back in the pool. and yeh, been looking to stick that oliver twist tune in a tune for moons haha.
good tidings
px

bring me the head of kim kar bring me the head of kim kar

That was some really cool idm. Curious, what tools are you using? DAW, samples, synths the like? Really, I loved that aphex twin vibe you had going <3

snoballandthmonyshot responds:

hey chap, glad you enjoyed it.
yeh, the break that plays out at the end and overlaid in the intro is a loop named 'aphex break' from a sample pack so... I use ableton live. drum rack for drums there, mixed down then re-sliced and diced. synth a saw wave in operator. is some live then sliced clarinet near the beginning, live then sliced saxaphone near the end. the bass is just a couple of kick drums looped then pitched about for the mid bass stuff with a sub with operator here and there to bottom it up. then a bunch of wierd samples and that.
thanks for listening

danger 8-bit danger 8-bit

What program was this? For future reference tell NG users what program you were using, what synths you used, what midi files you used, BPM, anything.

People will leave reviews and try to help. In time you'll learn. You just have to help us help you :)

vixuzar responds:

PXtone as a sound compiler and SFXR as a sound designer and i don`t actually know what was i doing back then i was just running through a sound layer to another a building stream`s mindlessly
and thank`s for the review

atomsmasha - sh0ckwav atomsmasha - sh0ckwav

I threw this onto a CD mix for the car before I gave this a listen. I honestly thought this might be a track I picked up through Diesel Boy. Heavy, nasty, fucking love it to death. Also, I've been blasting Tuff Sick full volume. I kind of just want a loop of the Fred Durst part so that I can play over and over and over again. I want to share my favorite part of that song with everyone in my hometown! Everyone should listen to your music.

jarrydn responds: