QuarlQuarl

Main News Movies Games Audio Art Favorites Reviews Stats 221 Fans

402 audio Reviews with Responses

Lunar Transmission Lunar Transmission

Holy fuck those heavily panned digitally distorted pads right at the beginning maxed out my adrenal glands. The funny thing is that if you made an entire dubstep song around that one noise people would shit tits. Can't tell if those are samples or what but hey: gold. I didn't even care about the rest of the song. I just kept going back and listening to that noise. It was yummy in a synesthesia kind of way. I think I tasted metal listening to that noise.

You obviously have a knack for aranging melodies. I loved those progressions and the chords were lush. I think your mixing needs some work. One last thing I could nit pick is that I felt like the entire song was a build up for a song that never came.

Please don't take this review as a negative. For someone that is learning you're making really good progress! I hope you keep at it and learn everything you want to learn :)

homchom responds:

Thanks so much!!! And so you know, none of that was a sample, I made it all in a sheet music program and edited it with Audacity.

Vintage Superman Theme Cover Vintage Superman Theme Cover

This brings back some oooooooold memories. I used to watch a few old episodes on VHS growing up. I was a damn little nugget last time I heard this melody :')

sorohanro responds:

Glad to hear you like it. There is a pack with the separate stems if you fancy a remix ;)
Thanks for the review.

8bit Underground 8bit Underground

This is really damn cool. I feel like if I plug in my headphones I'll hear some clipping back there somewhere but I don't always master my own stuff either. Just plugged in the cans. There are a few finer textures I could nitpick but honestly, throwing a pad onto this track might mask some of those frequencies a little.

omg, redo this song with a new drum kit and just one airy pad. This could be a really sick track with the right drum kit and background sounds. It's already really cool. Fuck, I've been listening to this track so hard I didn't even read the part where you said this is already a redo.

Hate me, redo the redo. I'd layer in a fat, over compressed dubstep kit of some kind then side chain the kit's signal to everything. Where could you go wrong?

Karmakosm responds:

This was the song that made me quit music for 2 months.... The other version from before was cleaner in my opinion. Im not as good at that kind of stuff as you, Quarl. still needs more reverse cowgirl!

Come&Go (Originally rewired) Come&Go (Originally rewired)

Oh yeah, I enjoyed that. It sounded like you were using garageband. Were those synths and percusion sounds from old faithful? No shame, I started out in garage band almost a decade ago and some of my all time favorite tunes came out during that period. Not a lot mind you, but one or two.

Despite the simplicity of the track the sounds all melt together to make a really intelligent whole. Listening to the arrangement is thought provoking. I feel like you gave every hit an ounce of genuine thought. Again, I need to acknowledge the fact that I have no idea what your creative process entailed but the output of that process delivered a really organic sound juxtaposed with a mechanical driving force. Great work Sunny!

Sunny0911 responds:

Thanks, its just the standard ableton sounds with some fine tuning. i Used push for the creative process with drums, and piano and continued at the Workstation clicking the synth from the beginning (its like a very high bass) and the baseline. For the dynamic effects i used compressor and side chain on the bass and added an extra drum line to make the bass sound more pumping. For Synth and piano i also used "layered instruments" function of ableton with 2 or 3 Instruments in one group. Thanks for your words (my english is a little rusty^^) !

Levitate Levitate

The real secret to making a good heavy metal song is about five years of experience making heavy metal music. Once you cross that threshold I can assure you that writing heavy metal songs get's kinds of easier. Seriously though, I loved to hear your attempt to bring the sound out even if you aren't metal mozart. Experimentation is key to getting better at art or music. Wish I still had that kind of energy in me but most of my crap these days is the same old bull shit.

If your still going to make this kind of music you should listen to other artists in the metal category that are doing the same thing. Ask them how to properly mix some of your sounds. I might not be a metal person but I'd recommend sidechaining the bass with the drum kit to help de-mud some of the mix. Growing up, newgrounds let me collaborate with all kinds of people and I'd be shocked if that resource dried up. Don't be afraid to reach out to people! The next metal track you output could be a collaboration with someone who has the same program as you. I've done that with StanSB, Sessilenomad, Sinerider... I'm sure a few others too but I'm forgetful in my old age.

Keep up the good work Razor!

Razorrekker responds:

Yeah. I don't usually stick with ONE kind of music, I may never pick a genre. My mixing skills are kind of a work in progress. I have a long way to go, and I know it. I'm going to keep trying, and it's comments like these that keep me going. The fact that people with way more musical experience than me atleast think my music isn't just ugly-noise-stuff is absolutely amazing. Thanks. This comment means things to me. I will certainly keep the good work.

Rise of the Fallen (Cleaned Audio) Rise of the Fallen (Cleaned Audio)

Sounds like a great song under that high pass filter. I really wish you chose not to arbitrarily filter all that hard work through a tin can but I'm sure you had your reasons.

ParadoxVatriox responds:

I'm sorry to inform you, but I didn't filter anything... maybe it's my recording equipment or something else, but all I know is that I didn't put any filters anywhere in this song. But a word of advice, instead of leaving one star for a problem that can easily be fixed, PM me about it next time so I know, and can get that fixed when I have time. Regardless, thank you for your comment and I hope you enjoy future posts, and any past songs I have published if you were to listen to any. One more thing, I'm still trying to get the hang of this dubstep thing. I'm no Deadmau5 or Skrillex yet.

The Sheriff's Left Town The Sheriff's Left Town

Got nothing constructive to say. Just wanted to say hi. Cool cowboy jazz you got right here. I could totes ball wit da ball da bang da dang diggy diggy to this.

Kid Rock reference right there for you little ones that don't know classical music.

S3C responds:

hey what up girl!! nice to hear from you. thanks for checking this out!!

Kid Rock is garbage lmao

No sleep tonight No sleep tonight

Yummy chords. Lush sounds. Big ups noisy. I find nothing wrong with this track. A plus love.

Noisysundae responds:

Thanks. Perhaps it's because there's not many instruments in it.

DigohD - Influenza DigohD - Influenza

I'll be honest with you, my first thought was "seven minutes? This better be worth it because I've already wrote one sentence which means I need to finish this review and by the time I finish this paragraph I'll still be less than a minute into the track.

Very slow start. I'm an adrenaline junky so I can write that feeling off as just being biased to what I like. I really love hearing the ideas flowing in this though. That intro was super relaxing and you picked inoffensive patterns to build an atmosphere with. I didn't get bored with the intro despite the simplicity :)

Unfortunately I got bored listening to that bass kick over and over. I really wanted some kind of 909 snare or something punchy to contrast that kick. I get a tiny clap snare around 4:40 and that was way tooooooo long a build up for me. The samples you choose to use and layer with to make your drums have a huge impact on the punch of the track. Sometimes I'll use three to four seperate snares that all hit seperate areas of the sound spectrum, make them all one signal, send them into an equalizer, then a compressor, then to the mixer. God, my drum stack is a mess. We all have our vices.

You have some serious potential if you can clean up some of your choices in samples and layer on some fatness. Since this is such a dancy trance song I want to hear some squelches that make me orgasm a little. I want a pulsating drum kit with super compressed fat ass beats. I'm such a slob.

Please don't read this review as if I'm trying to be hurtful because I'm not. I hear so much good stuff in this I just want to hear what you can do if you push yourself to that next level. Cheers Digs :D

DigohD responds:

This i an excellent review. Probably the most interesting and valuable comment I've ever got. I've taken your criticism and wishes to heart, and it will surely impact my future work.

I'm currently struggling with mastering the sound of my music, especially the beats, and I'm often afraid to make it to noisy or loud.

Thanks for the review, and the best of regards,
Simon

Bird's Song After The Storm Bird's Song After The Storm

The arangement is great! Love all the different sounds you have going. There are a few elements in the mix I'd have done differently but seeing as how I don't make this kind of music all my suggestions should be taken for a grain of salt.

It sounds like some of those instruments have a ton of space. Ditch that reverb and shorten the cut off times of those instruments to help clean up the mix. It sounds like your using those plucked strings with some heavy reverb right at the beginning to make it a pad. That's one of the instruments I was bothered by but it's such a minute detail.

I'd have lowered the volume on that percussion. The genres I usually attack are more suited for strong pulsing rhythms but those hihats, tambs, and what have yous really over powered. Maybe taking those hats and giving them a shorter cut off time would have made more space? Funny story, adding shakers might even things out a little. Sound is crazy like that.

Sorry to bother you but I really loved this song. I could loop it forever. Great track boo!

nerevars responds:

Thank you!

-"It sounds like some of those instruments have a ton of space. Ditch that reverb and shorten the cut off times of those instruments to help clean up the mix."
I think you're thinking about the contrabass. Yeah it was heavy in reverb because I think it will make the sound more "full".
I was thinking doing it without reverb, but it sounds so dry. Clean but dry.

-"I'd have lowered the volume on that percussion. The genres I usually attack are more suited for strong pulsing rhythms but those hihats, tambs, and what have yous really over powered."
I'm using the shaker the whole song to make it like a crowd and dance like. But I think I get what you mean. Should make the instrument cleaner. So the mixing need to be better huh?

Anyway, thanks again to reviewing my piece :D