QuarlQuarl

Main News Movies Games Audio Art Favorites Reviews Stats 243 Fans

420 audio Reviews with Responses

Iηнυмαη Eяrør Iηнυмαη Eяrør

I some how missed this track, sorry Nachos. Cool to see it in the top three line up! How did you get 180 downloads? I haven't seen that many downloads since back in the olden days. I'm lucky to get 10 downloads on anything anymore. I'm only slightly envious.

Airy, breezy, drum and bass. That reese was nice and juicy. Gotta agree with strykur, those drums that kicked in with the reese were nice and fat. I wish you looped it a little longer. Still, with all the change ups you managed to produce a really creative track. The concept behind it all tuned me in as well. Love!

larrynachos responds:

I have a track with over 1000 downloads I think (or maybe 10,000?). Geometry dash makes it really easy, but I think 180 people just really liked the track, because I can't find a GD level with my song id.

I try to keep my songs shorter, because people always shit on my tracks for being too repetitive. Glad you liked it though! I enjoyed your robot day track as well :D

Virus [RobotDay2016] Virus [RobotDay2016]

Is that the same reese synth you used in the "look how stupid easy it is to make dubstep" facebook video? I'd say I actually liked this track but then I'd be afraid that you think my taste in music is simple minded and bland. Art sucks man, be grateful that it comes easy to you.

Cool track, regardless of what you think about it.

Sequenced responds:

i don't care what people like its jut a silly genre

hehe

its an add on to that synth

Simulated_Reality_//:corrupt> Simulated_Reality_//:corrupt>

I just ran through your music catalog real quick, sorry I've never noticed you until now! I feel like this happens so often. People slip through the cracks... FOR YEARS. Unacceptable.

This reminds me of that old school Metroid sound. Ambient-minimal-industrial-glitch. Things kind of go more into song mode towards the end there but I was really digging the atmosphere all around.

Cheers!

Psychknight responds:

That's cool :P
I agree. The amount of content out there these days is just incredible. So many talented peeps...

Thanks for your review! :)

-:: Fallen Machines ::- -:: Fallen Machines ::-

I love hearing an artist have fun. The track came out so well. I had to listen several times over. Those chanting vox added a lot of atmosphere. You took a really orchestrated approach which I wouldn't have anticipated to sound so awesome with the robot theme. What really sells it to me is that evolving glitchy pad under everything.

2:43, those scratching violins... I love you so much. If I was in love with this track in the first place that distressed violin pushed me over the edge. I want moar...

dem0lecule responds:

Thank you for your review Quarl. :)

I supposed to make the violin sound like electric violin. but halfway through (as spent an hour for it) i said fuck it and instead applied LFO and phaser to the part. the result turned out better than i planned.

thank you again dude. Happy Robot Day! :D

Gear City Gear City

That was awesome, super crisp mids and highs. Super heavy tension, I love it. Arrangement is pro. I'm assuming that's a drum machine? If so, you got a little Robot right there in your song. HI ROBOT DRUM MACHINE SORRY IF YOUR A REAL PERSON :D

My only gripe is that it sounded like there were no sub sonic bass frequencies. The bass was a tiny bit underwhelming which is unfair because everything else is soooo goood, I could fuck to this song. Seriously, awesome awesome awesome.

TSRBand responds:

Thanks so much! Good ear, that's EZDrummer 2's metal kit you're listening to with a bit of tweaking on the kick and snare.

Sorry to hear the bass isn't quite up to scratch! Seems like a bit of a letdown, thanks for pointing it out tho, I'll definitely have to go back in and have a look at that sometime :)

Robot Junkyard Robot Junkyard

I really liked a lot of the experimentation I heard. There were some super clean synths in there and the arrangement was flawless. The one thing I'd have done differently is the tone of the drum kit. I loved the effects on everything but that kit could have punched me harder with some more EQing, compression, or layers.The kit was kind of thin. It sounded like it was under a filter the whole time, don't be a tease. Sorry to meander about the drums...

I love Kamikaye's work, cool shout out! Always makes me happy to see people tagging each other. I'll believe you when you said this took a long time to make. Composing songs out of seemingly random noises takes so much patience. A chord progression can keep a song together but IDM, glitch, brain dance... those genres take patience. It requires balance between experimentation and composition. Neurotic programming. Good luck shadow dreamer :]

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Thanks for the review and for the support :)

I'm glad that you liked my silly experimenting. This is very different from the usual kind of music I make, which is very heavy on chords, melodies, and arrangement. Especially since I mostly compose solo piano stuff :V
But I always found it fun to see what all I can cook together whenever I am given a reason to :D

I totally agree with you about the drums. I did compress them some, but I probably went way too soft with it. Drums and mixing are my greatest weaknesses when it comes to composing in general!

Yeah, I love Kamikaye's stuff too! Along with a ton of other artists here on NG. I atually follow quite a lot of artists in secret >:D
You are correct here too. Most of the time went into finding/altering samples that'd fit okay together, and figuring out how I wanted to arrange them.
That said, non-experimental tracks tend to take even longer for me to make, as I put a lot more effort into arranging and balancing the mix when I try to make something, especially if it's orchestral. I am relatively slow at producing tracks in general though, so it's no surprise xD

Sorry for the side note!
Thanks for the review, and good luck to you too!

The Starving Man (beatbox) The Starving Man (beatbox)

Yeahhhhhhh, I love it! Those sound like some strong pf snares and clean bass kicks. That "Mongolian throat singing" sounds so much like the throat basses you get from most contemporary beat boxers. I'm assuming the throat singing was that didgeridoo-esque sound? Are there any artists or beat boxers you're into? Reggie Watts was my first step into the beat boxing community but now a days I listen to artists like Skiller, Napon, KRNFX... I went through a huge Pe4enkata phase :)

RealFaction responds:

Thanks! Yes it was! :) I'm into Michal Winslow the guy who makes lots of noises, I used to be into another guy but I forget his name. Will Smith and Justin Timberlake can beatbox pretty well too. Reggie Watts yeah I like him too. Awesome :)

a lil beat boxing boredom a lil beat boxing boredom

FOD, get a better mic. Those sounded like some really clean pf snares, bass kicks, hats, and lip rolls. I'm not sure how much you practice but I've been thumbing through so many tutorials and I think KRNFX and Track IX have some of the best tutorials out there if you're looking to boost your skills. Fart noises for life son.

I couldn't quite make out what you were saying at the end but I accept your challenge.

Father-of-Death responds:

I don't know why I put this up on NG but yea

Spectral Fun ~P~ Spectral Fun ~P~

Really awesome sounds! This experiment was super well produced. I had to research SpectralLayers, looks like a fun app. $400 seems like a hefty price tag for something that kind of looks like a gimmick but hey, I bet people say the same thing about Propellerhead's Reason. After watching the demo video I have to say I want it. Could I get some opinions on SpectralLayers? Is it as easy to use as the video makes it look? I need to know how you feel about the app. Pretty pretty please?

Half star taken off because what was that stutter in those kicks at the beginning? Is that a side-effect from chopping frequencies in SL?

Phyrnna responds:

Ah thanks! :D
I decided to yank it as part of their Audio Master Suite which included both SpectraLayers and SoundForge (which I already had been using extensively) for $600. Honestly well worth the money for the incredible utility of both softwares and while other "cheaper" alternatives exist it's well worth the investment.
The interface isn't as super intuitive and easy to learn as FL's, but it's a very easy pick up especially if you look up tutorials or just read the instructions. The few stuff shown on their video is definitely as easy as it seems (though further tweaking yields more fun results) and already lets you do quite a bit. I've done some further experimentation to get some further interesting results and sounds.
As for the kicks at the beginning, that was a side effect of spectral casting tempo sync'd kicks but with slightly different decays and attacks. I guess you could say I created a sort of destructive interference lol.

[AIM] Summer Heat [AIM] Summer Heat

Those crispy record scratch sounds were such a nice aesthetic touch. I knew I was in for a good ride when I heard those. There's a certain level of character in a song when atonal background intangible sounds are used properly. Putting the song into two distinct movements was smart composing. I didn't lose any interest in the track because of that evolution.

The song went with the picture perfectly for me. In the same way I fell in love with Metroid Prime's sound track and landscapes back in the day, your music just slips over EchoCharlieDelta's drawing perfectly. I want to play this game you guys are working on. I know it's not a game yet but I want to play it. I want to stealthily shoot my way through a desolated future city now. Thanks Seprix. I have an itch that will never be scratched now >:C

Seprix responds:

Man, imagine a game that's like 80s future, with an 80s sound track and all the cheese. Man, that would be amazing. I also want to play a game that's 40s-50s future. Nobody even thinks about that, but that would be so incredible.